Retaliation is a videogame series based on an original boardgame, designed to offer challenging tactical and strategic reasoning in a fast, easy and funny format.
The mission of Retaliation is to make the spirit of wargaming available to everyone, casual gamers and seasoned strategists alike.
To achieve this, it skirts away from the most tedious aspects of many wargames, where the work-to-fun ratio is too high (extreme examples are the so called "monster" wargames, that take more than a few continuous days of play to complete).
At the same time, Retaliation is not trivial, with complex gameplay emerging from very simple rules.
The series now includes one published game (available on multiple platforms) and two more that are under active development.
In wargaming parlance, Retaliation could be described as an operational-level wargame, with units approximating divisions. But unit size and map scale are kept very elastic: Retaliation can thus accommodate a wide range of scenarios, from purely tactical mini-maps to large connected campaigns, where dealing with resource control and supply lines is often more important than manoeuvre warfare.
Key aspects of Retaliation games
- Balanced and polished as a board game, funny and fast as a videogame
- Easy to learn yet always diverse and challenging
- Special rolls with special results (e.g. self-damage)
- 20 main terrain types influencing movement, combat and production
- Units can merge (two units become one) or split (into two or more units)
- Combat is handled sequentially but considered simultaneous: units have a last chance to fire back even if completely destroyed by enemy's attack
- Reinforcements awarded according to controlled territory, but the richest terrain tiles are the ones harder to defend
- Clean game UI: no menus, dialogs, energy bars, pop-ups
- Not just 1-vs-1: when more than two opponents battle each other, there are multiple open fronts and constantly shifting alliances
- Multiple gameplay variants (deterministic chess-like, arcade, boardgame..)
- Freely moddable and expandable: users can create new maps with a map editor and design new terrain graphics
- Online multiplayer (plus local hotseat) Turn Based Strategy
- Published by Forgotten Empires
- Official website: enemy-mine.com
- Additional features with respect to Path of War:
- 6 players, human or AI, can play together
- Can play under Fog of War (unknown terrain, unknown enemy location)
- Combined arms: Armour, Infantry and Artillery (each with its own strength, weaknesses and abilities)
- Alliances and betrayals
- Additional game mode "Decapitation"
- Non combat action "Hiding"
- Team mode
- Easy, Medium and Hard AI levels
- Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS, PSvita, OUYA, XBoxLive, Win8 mobile
- FREE demo DOWNLOAD links:
Your feedback is appreciated!
- You can now test the game by playing the online flash.
- Or downloading the windows zipped installer, which also works on Linux (through wine).
- The Android version is available on Google Play.
- And for MacOS a zipped archive.
- Full versions:
- Videos: Official trailer, Teaser+features, Gameplay sample, 3 players Gameplay sample, battle of 2 human players Crossplatform online multiplayer test
- Screenshots: Official @ Forgotten Empires Development @ IndieDB
@ Forgotten Empires
@ Indievault (Italian)
@ GPI (Italian)
- Singleplayer Turn Based Strategy; includes a full interactive tutorial, single battles and connected campaigns
- Completely FREE of charge: freely downloadable, no ads, no in-game purchases
- Platforms and DOWNLOAD links:
- Videos: Trailer+features Tutorials
- Screenshots: SourceForge Desura
Games under active development
- Cross-platform multiplayer RTS (Real Time Strategy)
- Additional features with respect to Enemy Mine:
- Free roaming map (not hex constrained)
- 3D scenarios
- 2D, 3D and Isometric views
- Terrain modifications
- Additional unit types
- Additional game modes
- Additional non combat actions
- (to be announced)
- Game Design, Graphics & Documentation: Dr Giuseppe Insana
- Main programmer: Stefano Tamascelli
- Development, Publishing & Additional Graphics: Xteam Software Solution
- Original Soundtrack: Andrea Giachini